Tue - Sat 9am - 5pm
Sun 12pm - 5pm
Mission & History Menu
The Children's Museum of the Lowcountry is always looking for energetic, up-beat people who love to work with children. In particular, we are looking for individuals who have experience in education, theater or child care.
Executive Director - Job Description
MISSION STATEMENT: The Children's Museum of the Lowcountry is a non-profit organization whose mission is to engage young children’s potential by inviting families of all backgrounds to explore environments and experiences that spark imagination and stimulate curiosity through the power of play.
Reports directly to the Board of Directors
Over the last decade, The Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry (CML) has become a regional destination for interactive learning and PLAY for children and families in South Carolina and the Southeast. CML has continually expanded programs and opportunities to further its mission. In order to carry forth their mission into their next ten years and continue to address the specific needs of children and families in South Carolina, the Board, through a thorough strategic planning process has identified three core overarching principles to help guide the organization's work:
· Play Framework: Explore, consolidate, and advance CML’s understanding of and distinct approach to play for its audiences; how it will translate its expertise into play and learning experiences and environments and customer service; and how it will communicate its value and benefits to stakeholders and partners.
· Early Connections – Birth to Three: A comprehensive set of services, experiences, and supporting practices that enables CML to fully serve its youngest audience and their grownups; contributes to the area’s early childhood resources; and distinguishes CML from other early childhood venues through developmentally, “just right” play-based experiences and environments that engage and make young children’s potential visible.
· Families Together: A broad, flexible approach to engaging families of all backgrounds with varied interests and children of different ages that is capable of serving the family as a cohesive, on-going group as well as supporting relationships and interactions among family members.
We seek a visionary leader with a passion for early childhood education and PLAY. CML’s vision is to be a pioneer in improving the welfare of children in the Charleston Tri-County community; the Board seeks an Executive Director who has a passion and vision for executing CML’s vision. Experience working in an educational setting that values and sustains a strong public-private partnership and a high level of community engagement and impact would be ideal. The desire and ability to easily blend into the community culture is expected, including efforts to reach out to multiple and highly diverse constituent groups.
The person we seek will have the ability to passionately articulate the story of the museum's mission and plans. This person must eagerly and enthusiastically assume the role of the public face of the museum. A background in the successful development of constituent relations that result in major individual gifts, foundation grants, corporate sponsorships and other sources of philanthropic support will be a significant factor in candidate selection. Experience using traditional and non-traditional fundraising techniques is expected.
This person must demonstrate consistent success in selecting competent staff and developing a cohesive team of professionals. A leadership approach that is described as accessible, supportive and empowering must be demonstrated, but also balanced by strong decision-making and results-oriented accountability. An understanding of informal, hands-on education programs in a setting like the museum would be highly advantageous. The ability to utilize as well as motivate volunteer resources is strongly valued.
We seek a business-principled leader with a successful track record of astute financial administration and strong operations management. Knowledge and experience gained from working in cultural, entertainment, or destination venues is highly desired. A keen understanding of what it takes to promote highly-effective, customer-centric practices and attitudes from within (i.e. enhancing the visitor experience) is a must. Expertise in the area of childhood development would be a plus.
A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is required; a graduate degree(s) is highly preferable. Evidence of continuing education in museum management, general business, finance, marketing or related disciplines would be expected.
Desired Skills and Experience
Early Childhood Education and PLAY
· Inspire and lead CML’s staff and programs related to education and PLAY
· Oversee and manage organizational and programmatic goals related to educational vision and strategic plan
· Be an ambassador and thought leader in the community related to early education
Management and Administration
Development and Fundraising
Board Relations and Communications
Public Relations and Communications
Characteristics, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To apply for this position of Executive Director, please send a current resume and letter of introduction to
The Children's Museum of the Lowcountry
Attn: Executive Director Search Committee
25 Ann Street
Charleston, SC 29403
PLEASE NOTE: We are always looking for volunteers and interns to help out at the Museum as well. Many of our current employees started off as volunteers. CLICK HERE to check out all of our volunteer opportunities.